By Corey Moss
As stated by InfoComm International:
AV technology is awesome. But behind all the gear and awe-inspiring installations are people. It’s those people, just like you and your team, who make the magic happen.
Each year, InfoComm International recognizes certain individuals in the industry as InfoComm Awards recipients in the following categories (with this year’s recipients):
- Mackey Barron Distinguished Achievement Award – Jim Bowie, President and CEO of Electrosonic
- Adelle De Berri Pioneers of AV Award – Russell Gentner, President and CEO, Listen Technologies
- CTS Holder of the Year Award – L. William Nattress III, CTS-D, CTS-I, Director of Channel Strategy, Biamp Systems
- Educator of the Year Award – James Maltese, CTS-D, CTS-I, President, Audio Visual Resources Inc.
- Women in AV Award – Patty McGoldrick, CEO and Founder, Immediate Connections Inc. and Mahua Mukhopadhyay, Director, AVID India Pvt. Ltd., Executive Vice President, IAV India
- Volunteer of the Year Award – Jason Brameld, Technical Director, Torpedo Factory Group.
- Young AV Professionals Award – Megan Dutta, Marketing Communications Manager, Peerless-AV and Wallace Johnson, CTS, Vice President of Business Development, Mertzcrew
The Adelle De Berri Pioneers of AV Award highlights important contributions made by industry individuals to the science of AV. The award calls attention to the AV and information communications industries by recognizing pioneers who made scientific breakthroughs resulting in new AV technologies that impacted the manufacture and sales of novel products enjoyed by audiences worldwide.
This year’s Adelle De Berri Pioneers of AV Award recipient is Russell Gentner, President and CEO, Listen Technologies. Russ founded Gentner Communications (now ClearOne) in 1981, and developed the first channelized acoustic echo canceler for telephone and videoconferencing applications. Gentner founded Listen Technologies in 1998 to provide wireless audio solutions for applications such as assistive listening, guided tours and language interpretation. He is passionate about raising awareness of hearing loss issues, advocating for greater accommodations to help those with hearing loss and educating people about listening solutions.
Russ and I talk about his background, which began in radio and broadcast prior to his founding Gentner Communications, the entry into the AV business and the first channelized echo canceler for telephone and video conferencing. He also talks about some of the products developed by the company. We then discuss the beginnings of Listen Technologies, and how assistive listening became an important driving force for innovation for Russ and the others who began the company.
Russ talks about the innovative products and solutions developed by Listen Technologies for assistive listening including cutting edge IR and RF solutions, tour guide systems, hearing loops, and more. We then have a conversation that focuses on entrepreneurial motivation, along with discussion of Listen WiFi and the new ListenTALK.
Finally, we discuss the Adelle De Berri Pioneers of AV Award and what it means to Russ, as well as the company.
The InfoComm 2017 Awards will be given to the recipients at a ceremony at InfoComm’s Center Stage on June 14th.
See the Listen Technologies press release.
With almost 20 years in audio visual integration and IT/computer sales and consulting, Corey Moss is the owner of Convergent AV. Corey writes for the publication and hosts/produces podcasts – The AV Life, The Edge of AV, EdTech Focus and The Show Corner. He has written for numerous industry publications about AV, IT, unified communications and collaboration (UCC), cloud and software, IoT, cybersecurity and more. He has also conducted interviews with AV and IT executives and global influencers.